Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Agents of SHIELD (S2E2) Review: Expand Your Horizons

A promising season premiere last week has led to a surprisingly successful second episode that may just be my favorite episode of this show so far. Focusing on characters for much of the episode turned out to be a smart choice, since this approach manages to rectify one of my complaints with last weeks episode, which was that the new characters on the show didn't get much development. Luckily, that changes this week with the newest additions to the show getting some time to shine in this episode.

I really love how the episode just opens with a direct continuation from last weeks story, with Lance Hunter (Nick Blood) trapped in a car wrecked by the episodes primary antagonist, The Absorbing Man (Brian Patrick Wade). Hunter remains a focal point of the episode beyond that, becoming a character a bit complex in his motivations; he has plenty of qualms with Coulson since his last mission got one of his teammates killed, but he isn't exactly cool with cooperating with General Talbot (Adrian Pasdar).

I like that we're seeing this sort of character that hasn't existed on the show before, it adds a new dynamic for the characters to play off. It helps that Blood plays the character well, especially in his big action scene later in the episode. That particular sequence is the only real action-heavy element in the episode, but it's actually executed excellently, especially the hand-to-hand combat moment between Hunter and The Absorbing Man. Last year had trouble with doing coherent hand-to-hand fight sequences, so it really is terrific to see it being done in such effective fashion this time around.

Another new character getting some depth this week is Al McKenzie (Henry Simmons) who gets an interesting companion in Fitz, whose damage after almost drowning last season has isolated him from all the other S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. I like that Fitz has someone to interact with now, though I'm still wondering why Simmons isn't around. The only character that plays a primary part in the episode that I found to be a bit lacking is Raina (Ruth Negga), who returns to the show in this tale. I didn't find her that compelling last season, so her abrupt appearance here didn't make me elated. I will freely admit though that the ending of this episode does hint at some interesting potential plotlines for her in the future.

Before I wrap up this review, I just wanna say right now that Absorbing Man has to be a "miracle" just like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. If the show proves me right in the future, I get full bragging rights, just a heads up.

No comments:

Post a Comment