Thursday, July 3, 2014

I Wanna See That!: Where The Wild Things Are



In this Thursday fixture, I Wanna See That!, I take a look at specific trailers that are both well crafted and have some kind of importance to them beyond just informing you a film is coming soon. This week, I start a Wild Rumpus over the trailer for Where The Wild Things Are.
I'm so ingrained into the world of film, that most of my encounters with music derive from placements in films or movie trailers. Such was my first impression of the band Arcade Fire, which came from this beautiful trailer. Back in March 2009, I'd never heard of the band before, but after watching this engrossing trailer I certainly wouldn't forget the band, and more importantly, wouldn't forget this movie.

Last week, when I covered the trailer for Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, I noted how the advertising for that extremely unique film didn't quite convey the brilliance behind its idiosyncrasies. While the trailer for this film doesn't quite depict the beautiful darkness behind it, it does do a marvelous job of differentiating from the crowded pack of family movies released on a constant basis. It's got a wise tone that combines the curiosity and anxiety that makes up everyone's childhood, all set to that perfectly appropriate Arcade Fire tune Wake Up.

It's been over a year since he passed away, but James Gandolfini's loss is still felt when witnessing the outstanding work he gave us in his lifetime. His role in Wild Things is one of my favorites of his, and I love that he gets the trailers only line of dialogue, which could nicely sum up the trailer as a whole. "I didn't wanna wake ya, but there's something I really wanna show you." Indeed, this fantastic 2 minute and 5 second long piece of advertising does a remarkable job of showing audiences that very ideal; that Spike Jonze has something outstanding he wants to show you. The best part? The actual film wound up being even better than this amazing trailer.



No comments:

Post a Comment