Tuesday, May 19, 2015

New Pixels Trailer Contains Adam Sandler And Smurf Murder

I mentioned a while back that I thought Pixels would be one of the box office bombs of this summer, but now I'm not so sure. What's reversed my thought process? This new trailer. It's not something I like, but I could see it being a huge hit with general audiences. Check it out below, let me know if I'm on the wrong track here.


Like I said, this film doesn't look all that compelling to me. The story feels mundane, and while Adam Sandler doesn't seem to be too irritating, none of the characters seem to be that interesting. My thoughts on the trailer can be summed up single-handidly by the gag with Kevin James killing a Smurf; the joke is very out of place (Smurfs weren't very popular video game entities at all, with them only receiving two different games on the ColecoVision and Atari2600), and is some pretty blatant Sony synergy since they're the studio producing Pixels and all the Smurfs movies.

But the visual of a cute Smurf dancing and then getting annihilated by Kevin James in a gruesome fashion should get a hearty laugh out of audiences and stick in their minds, and the visual of Pac-Man about to eat Sandler's vehicle in mid-air will likely be similarly resonant with audiences I think. Smart move to put the song We Will Rock You In There too, as people already have an enormous fondness for that tune that'll help cement the feature in the minds of countless moviegoers. This trailer doesn't look incredible to me, but I also freely admit that it looks better than Jack & Jill and Grown Ups 2 (not a high bar to pass) and it is the kind of trailer that could keep the film from bombing like I predicted last month. One last note though; it's interesting to note that, like Wreck-It Ralph, Q-Bert is prominently on display in this trailer. Looks like he'll be teaming with the good guys here, which seems cool since I can't imagine Q-Bert would be that effective of a bad guy. He doesn't even have arms!


No comments:

Post a Comment