Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Good News! A Female Superhero Movie Is Coming! Bad News! That Female Superhero Movie Is Coming From The Studio That Ruined Spider-Man

You cannot imagine my excitement when I began to read the headline that proclaimed a female superhero movie was on the way. FINALLY I thought. Bizarre prejudices can be put aside and we can finally get quality movies starring well developed female characters. Then I read further and realized...crap. It's from Avi Arad and Sony. Y'know, the guys who made The Amazing Spider-Man 2, the movie that makes Spider-Man 3 (a deeply flawed, but actually kind of underrated film) look like a masterpiece.

Reportedly, the character that this particular film will revolve around hasn't been decided yet. But we do have a screenwriter, Lisa Joy, who will bring the project to life. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say Black Cat will be the subject of the movie, though good luck marketing that movie and having people not think it's a rip-off of Anne Hathaway and Michelle Pfeiffers Catwoman.

I'm really glad we're finally making progress and getting a female superhero movie, but man, I'd feel a lot more confident on it's quality if Fox or Marvel Studios was in charge of it. But we shall see. Perhaps this tragedy of a Cinematic Universe those Amazing Spider-Man movies started can be salvaged yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment