Sunday, December 28, 2014

My Current Best Picture Nominees Predictions!! (December 28, 2014 Edition)

Well, the nominations for the next Academy Awards ceremony will be released two weeks from this Thursday.So let's take a look at my current predictions for the largest category of the ceremony, Best Picture.
Let me preface this by noting that I predict there will be 9 nominees for this category. There's no designated number of nominees for the category, but it can be between 5 and 10. Considering 9 films have competed for the award in the last three years, I'm just going with 9 nominees in my predictions. Also, there aren't personal picks for the award; if they were, Birdman and The Theory of Everything wouldn't even be given a second thought.

Guaranteed To Be There...And Maybe Win
These are the three films I think will not only get nominated, but have a strong shot at winning. Boyhood seems to be the favorite to win at this point, and for good reason, it's an utterly amazing movie. Birdman is getting tons of accolades too, and may be able to sneak in victory. However, Selma seems to be riding a ton of buzz right now, driven primarily by excellent reviews. Don't count that one out just yet.

Boyhood
Birdman
Selma

Pretty Much Guaranteed To Be There
These are three movies that may not get in, but that's a long shot to be sure. There's very little chance of this trio winning, but they'll be around for sure. I will say, by the by, that I'm glad Whiplash has enough momentum at this point to be in this category considering how much I enjoyed it.

The Theory Of Everything 
The Imitation Game
Whiplash

Likely To Be There
These three movie are in an interesting spot of having considerable amounts of buzz, but they're also not titans in this awards race. If any one of them were to leave my current Best Picture predictions, I'd say it's Gone Girl considering how much buzz The Grand Budapest Hotel and Foxcatcher have received recently.

Gone Girl
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Foxcatcher

Just Outside Of Getting Nominated
Now, here are two motion pictures that are hovering right outside of my predictions right now. There's a very good chance they could get in, and I wouldn't be shocked if one of them knock Gone Girl out of the category, but it's tough to call. American Sniper has made a huge splash at the box office, but it hasn't gotten as much buzz as other competitors. Nightcrawler meanwhile has been a dark horse, stiltedly gaining momentum to the point where it's now a legitimate contender to get a nomination.

American Sniper
Nightcrawler

There's one or two other movies (namely Unbroken and A Most Violent Year) that may have fallen into this category, but I'll limit it to those two aforementioned films for now. I'll cover my current predictions for the acting categories in a few days, but just to rehash, here are my predictions for Best Picture as of December 28, 2014:

Birdman
Gone Girl
Whiplash
Foxcatcher
Boyhood
Selma
The Theory Of Everything
The Imitation Game
The Grand Budapest Hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment