Friday, December 19, 2014

My 12 Favorite Movie Trailers Of 2014

You won't see a ton of "Best of 2014" lists on this site at this time of the year, mainly because a good chunk of notable 2014 movies (Inherent Vice, Selma, American Sniper) won't come to a theater near me until mid-January. Expect lists revolving around my favorite 2014 features around that time, but I'll still toss a few retrospective lists in the next few days, starting with the one, which covers my 12 favorite 2014 trailers.


Behold my choices, in no particular order;
Birdman: That slow version of Cee-Lo Greens "Crazy" helps set a very off-kilter atmosphere that perfectly syncs up with the compelling visuals that the trailer provides.
Whiplash: I'd heard people buzzing about this one out of Sundance, and I still hear people raving about Whiplash (I'm finally seeing the movie itself today, woo-hoo!). This trailer only adds to the hype, setting up an intense mood and establishing J.K. Simmons as a threatening presence.
Godzilla: As a big fan of this underrated 2014 blockbuster, I love rewatching this trailer, as it contains many of the elements that made the finished film so wonderful. Captivating images, an eerie score, Bryan Cranston...this trailer, like the movie itself, left an unforgettable impression on audiences.
Big Hero 6: Most family movie trailers focus on wacky antics, making things look more manic than interesting. And while effective humorous moments pop up here courtesy of Baymax, the best part about this trailer for me is how it establishes the emotional situation Hiro endures during the feature, an arc that the song "On Top Of The World' matches nicely.
Foxcatcher: What's great about this one is how terrifying it is, specifically the last minute where Channing Tatum smashes the glass. I get goosebumps even now after watching this one multiple times.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The first ever footage from the much anticipated film became the second most watched trailer of 2014 (behind Fifty Shades of Grey) and for good reason. That thrill the original Star Wars movies had is in the teaser in spades, reminding us all why this galaxy far, far away is so beloved.
The Avengers: Age Of Ultron: As if I couldn't get more excited for the next Avengers movie, this trailer drops with one of the more ingenious song choices of the year; I've Got No Strings haunts the trailer, perfectly telling everyone everywhere that The Avengers are up against a massive foe.
Inherent Vice: I was mixed on Paul Thomas Andersons last movie (The Master), but this impeccable trailer made this one of my most anticipated movies of the year. This one's got a zippy energy that makes it a blast to watch. Plus, it's got tons of fun quotes ("Did I hit you??").

                                          
American Sniper: God this is an intense trailer. Contrasting flashbacks to a more conventional family life with Chris Kyle's intense wartime quandary just put me on the edge of my seat while also putting this film on my radar.
Kingsman: The Secret Service: This is just a really, really fun trailer, one that helps get me pumped for this February 2015 release by keeping a zippy pace and showcasing the distinctive action of the feature.
Boyhood: I was so nervous to see the first footage from Richard Linklaters gem of a movie, but this trailer just soared past my expectations. The footage itself is wonderful, but it's the song (Hero by Family Of The Year) that really seals the deal, making the whole affair seem even more thoughtful than it already is.
Guardians Of The Galaxy: Marvel and cinema fans (of which I'm both) were excited as all out to see the first trailer for Marvel's riskiest movie yet. Not only did it look fun, exciting and visually memorable, but that OOGA-CHOCKA montage at the end just makes me giddy, even ten months later. That feeling of "THISISHAPPENINGOHYES" is contagious and unforgettable.


No comments:

Post a Comment