Friday, April 28, 2017

A Dream Crate Dedicated To Iconic Movie Directors (A Post Brought To You By Loot Crate)

Last week, I got a most unique e-mail in my inbox....a request from the company Loot Crate, the organization that sends a box full of various goodies and items to people centered on various themes for a monthly fee. The idea of a major organization contacting me, some little o'l country boy film geek from Texas, was quite the shock to me, and after that shock wore off, I got accustomed to the assignment they wanted me to write up on. Turns out, they were asking various outlets to write up a post on their websites to create a post centered on the concept of what these writers would love to see in a "dream crate", in other words, one of these loot crates that they could fill with whatever what they wanted tying into whatever theme or concept they wanted. Just as a heads up for the curious, you can also write up your own vision for your own dream crate on your own website if you do so choose, you do not need to be contacted by Loot Crate to do this.

It sounded like a pretty fun idea and my mind began to ponder what exactly I could do if I had the ability to make my own Loot Crate. That's when I decided to hit on a theme that I hadn't seen utilized in previous Loot Crate's and that happened to intersect directly into my interests....a Loot Crate dedicated to Iconic Movie Directors! There's so many filmmakers out there that inspire us all in a myriad of ways, why not have a Loot Crate filled with trinkets and doo-dads dedicated to their awesomeness? Yes, this idea got my brain juices flowing and I was soon off to the presses with this concept!

I decided to place six items in this loot crate centered around the theme of Iconic Movie Directors, with the challenge I placed upon myself being that I had to recognize directors from all walks of cinema. Everyone from classic auteurs to foreign cinematic masters to modern day filmmakers, I had to make sure to recognize everyone as best I could. To that end, I decided to start off by thinking up a great idea for a T-Shirt that would come in this Loot Crate, one that was strictly centered on female directors from the past century-plus of cinema! The T-Shirt would be adorned with about twenty or so square images of various female directors, from Alice Guy-Blache to Kathryn Bigelow to Chantal Akerman to Ava DuVernay to Marielle Heller to Sofia Coppola (to just name a few!) and giant text at the bottom of the T-Shirt proclaiming "FEMALE FILMMAKERS FOREVER!" That's the kind of inclusivity and wide-rang appreciation of cinema I want to include in this entire Loot Crate!

Next up, how about three or four laptop stickers that carry inspirational quotes from famous directors? Quotes like Steven Spielberg's "Every time I go to the movies, it's magic, no matter what the movie's about" could make for awesome laptop stickers that proclaim one's own love for cinema as well as a positive attitude! Following that item, how about a drawn up poster that serves as an homage to the pre-1950 era of American cinema? I've seen similar pieces of artwork made for 1980's cinema, for instance, why not create a poster that serves as a tribute to a period of cinema that delivered the world films like City Lights, Casablanca and Citizen Kane? Preserving the black-and-white coloring of these movies in this poster also offers some tantalizing visual opportunities from an artistic perspective!

In addition to all of that, how about also supplying two or three of keychains that are the faces of famous directors such as Martin Scorsese or Quentin Tarantino? That could certainly be a cute and handy item to include in the package. Finally, I suggest this dream crate of mine should include a frequent fixture of all Loot Crates....a Funko Pop! figure. Now, last summer Funko did a Funko Pop! figure of Bridesmaids director Paul Feig for a line of figures they haven't added to (as of this writing) called Directors. As one might imagine, this dream crate would be the perfect opportunity to add to that particular line of Funko Pop! figures by supplying a Funko Pop! of renowned filmmaker Steven Spielberg, one that has him adorned with his trusty ball cap on his head, a gray beard covering his face and a twinkle of imagination in his eye.

Filmmakers bring a lot of wonder into our own lives and my goal with this dream crate I've conjured up here is to create a fictitious collection of items is to pay homage to all kinds of directors, the ones whose movies scare us, the ones whose movies make us laugh, the one whose movies thrill us....as long as they make quality cinema, I want this menagerie of nerdy entities to be a tribute to their work. That's my idea for a dream Loot Crate of items and I thank the fine folks at Loot Crate for offering me the chance to talk about my ideas for such a creation that entail me rambling on and on about my favorite directors, something I'm exceptionally good at!

No comments:

Post a Comment