Tuesday, January 10, 2017

The Jetsons and WWE Are About To Meet In An Actual Movie That Is Happening This Year

Since the Boomerang channel and its wall-to-wall Hanna-Barbera programming was a cornerstone of my youth, I know a thing or two about Hanna-Barbera cartoons, from the well-known stuff to more obscure creations like Grape Ape, Squiddily Diddily and Ricochet Rabbit. One such program I always used to fancy, and one my Mom had nostalgic childhood memories of her own watching, was The Jetsons, a show about a standard family living in the future, the polar opposite of fellow Hanna-Barbera creation The Flintstones if you will.


The Jetsons have been MIA since their 1990 theatrical movie, with no new TV shows, TV specials or anything of the kind coming forth. Plans for a live-action theatrical film never got off the ground and a theatrical animated film is apparently in the works. For now though, we do have some new Jetsons content on the horizon, which, of course, crosses over with WWE Wrestling. Now, I know zilch about WWE wrestlers apart from seeing the likes of John Cena and Dave Bautista in feature films recently, but I am aware of how WWE has been doing direct-to-video kids movies lately that pair the brand and its wrestlers up with big fictional character mainstays like Scooby-Doo and The Flintstones and even soon the Surf's Up gang. Take a look at the trailer for their cross-over with The Jetsons below.
So...that doesn't look too good, but I'll give it this; the trailer does look better than the trailers for upcoming actually theatrically released features like Smurfs: The Lost Village or The Boss Baby. While this Jetsons/WWE cross-over doesn't look good, it's such a bizarre creation I feel like I'll have to watch it down the line, especially since, as a Hanna-Barbera geek, I'll be curious to see what kind of new cast they've gotten for the various characters on the show (I think that's voice-over legend Grey DeLisle as Jane, right?) and how the animation of the original program has been translated into the modern day hand-drawn animation format. It'll also be interesting to see how long I can maintain my sanity if the lame jokes that pop up so much in this trailer are equally prominent in the final product.

My question now is...where do we go from here? What future Hanna-Barbera projects will cross over with WWE wrestling? Will Magilla Gorilla and Mr. Peebles step into the ring against Sheamus? Will Sasha Banks go toe-to-toe with Huckleberry Hound? I'm pretty sure you could wring a whole trilogy of movies about Kevin Nash, Jabberjaw and Hong Kong Phooey solving wrestling-themed crimes together. The Hanna-Barbera library is filled to the brim with so many characters (most of them forgotten by all but the geekiest geeks like yours truly) that you could pair off with various WWE stars. The possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment