Wednesday, February 8, 2017

The LEGO Ninjago Movie Trailer Has Some Serious Daddy Issues

Considering how franchise crazy Warner Bros. is these days, you'd have to be crazy to think they were only gonna follow-up their smash hit feature The LEGO Movie with only one or two direct sequels. They're going spin-off crazy with this one, with this Friday bringing The LEGO Batman Movie and this September unleashing the LEGO Ninjago Movie on the populace. Now, I'm completely unfamiliar with the LEGO Ninjago franchises history beyond knowing that it was a TV show on Cartoon Network and also knowing that my younger brother was obsessed with it for a brief period. It appears the movie version of that property is giving itself its own mythology, so check out the first trailer for it below to get a first glimpse of this new take on the Ninja LEGO characters.



This looks...fine, I suppose. As a trailer, it's not the most irritating ad for an upcoming computer animated movie I've seen, not by a long shot (the trailers for The Nut Job 2 and The Emoji Movie both made me feel dead inside, I'll freely admit) and I like Kumail Nanjiani's humorous delivery of the final line of the trailer. The teaser itself kind of just runs with one joke (the hero of the movie is the son of the villain) and doesn't do much with it beyond some boilerplate gags. Again, none of it is bad looking per se, it just doesn't stand out to me. I'm sure it'll make a gazillion dollars at the box office though since everything LEGO puts its name on seems to turn into gold.

One thing to note; this movies got quite the cast lined up for itself, with Abbi Jacobson and Michael Pena playing two of the lead ninjas. Always nice to see those two pop up in major movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment