Friday, June 20, 2014

The List!!!: Six Great YouTube Channels

EEEEEEEEPPPPPPIIIIICCC RAP.......BATTLESOFHISTORY
In The List!!!, I do a list that just reeks of being click-bait, analyzing a particular topic or subject that pertains to something major occurring in pop-culture. This week, in honor of my CinemaSins editorial, which has had over 400 views in just two days, I take a more positive look at things by highlighting six YouTube channels I enjoy.


1. ItsJustSomeRandomGuy: This guys passion for superheros and their respective movies is astonishing to watch in these hilarious short films. Utilizing action figures of these beloved icons to tell impactful stories and jokes, ItsJustSomeRandomGuy is phenomenal writer and voice actor that really takes what could have been a one-trick pony to the next level of greatness. The video above alone should convince anyone that this is the perfect channel for comic book devotees and novices alike.

2. How It Should Have Ended: It amazes me how terrific some of these YouTube channels are in spite of the limited resources they have. They really do remind me of independent filmmakers in that regard. Take How It Should Have Ended for example. They make some really great animation (especially the backgrounds!) on a limited budget that compliments all the hilarious jokes they conjure up for alternate scenarios in any particular movie. Real pity about their original version of How Frozen Should Have Ended (with an X-Men rendition of Let It Go) got taken down though.

3. Barely Political: Few can give a more humorous twist of todays popular music than Barely Political, whose parody music videos are consistently nothing short of hilarious. They have real craft put into their clever music videos, which extends to other non-music shorts on the channel. And I know I'm in the minority here, but I do love the puppets that feature on several videos. Puppets saying and doing filthy things is always funny. 

4. ERB: The Epic Rap Battles of History have always been fun, but they've really upped their game for this past season that started last Fall. Their recent new vidoes have not only included awesome guest stars like Weird Al Yankovic, but also clever face-offs like Stephen King vs. Edgar Allen Poe (which you can watch above). Really great stuff, though I hope one day they make my ultimate dream rap battle: Elsa vs. The Ice King!

5. The Fine Bros.: How much content can one channel make? The Fine Bros. seem determined to determine that age old (or eight year old) question by making tons of content that never sacrifices quality for quantity. My personal favorite video series on the channel is YouTubers React, which is fun to watch just to see how funny these guys even outside their own content. Oh, and those videos introduced me to....

6. Tyler Oakley: Very, very few people not just on YouTube, but in the entertainment industry are as much as a class act as Tyler Oakley. The guys easily the best recurring member of YouTubers React, and while I haven't watched as much of his standalone YouTube content as I should, what I've seen surpasses my already high expectations. The dudes funny on any social media and seems like just one of the nicest guys on the planet. Never stop being amazing Tyler!

No comments:

Post a Comment