Thursday, June 5, 2014

I Wanna See That!: Gremlins 2: The New Batch

In this Thursday fixture, I Wanna See That!, I take a look at specific trailers that are both well crafted and have some kind of importance to them beyond just informing you a film is coming soon.

The first Gremlins is an important movie in my family, namely because of my little brother being traumatized by the sequence where the Gremlins attack in the kitchen. The mere mention of Gremlins, no matter the context, was forbidden in my household, elevating the movies to a sort of forbidden fruit stature that only makes something that much more tantalizing. Once I finally got to see the original Gremlins, it managed to defeat my hefty expectations, delivering thrills and the lovable Gizmo.

Eager for more of the first film, I immediately sought out Gremlins 2: The New Batch from Netflix.

Upon finishing it, my love for Joe Dante was cemented. This was a bold movie, one that broke barriers and convention to deliver a sly satire disguised as a typical sequel. But you wouldn't know it from the trailer, which masks all the ingenuity of Gremlins 2: The New Batch in favor of reminding you of the original film. While I wish it had a bit more to say on the sequels own unique merits, it's hard to deny this trailers effectiveness.

Cutting back between footage of the original film and a simple puddle, tension is high as that score, crafted by the impeccable Jerry Goldsmith, rings through your eardrums. You know what's coming. The chaos. The terror. And all the brilliance of Joe Dante. But aside from a quick, but memorable, appearance from Brain Gremlin at the very end, this is almost entirely removed from all the terrific things that make Gremlins 2 such a treat. Still, even if it's not quite the best representation of the then forthcoming movie, this is still an unnerving trailer that makes one remember just how well made the first Gremlins was.


No comments:

Post a Comment