Sunday, October 8, 2017

My Thoughts On The Final Justice League Trailer

So Warner Bros. dropped off a final trailer for next month's Justice League movie. It's the fourth trailer for a motion picture whose marketing campaign I've been mostly apathetic to. I really did thoroughly enjoy that first teaser trailer from Comic-Con last year, but the subsequent two trailers just didn't get me hyped and the other elements of the marketing, like a flood of images of Batman, Wonder Woman and The Flash standing around, haven't done much to garner my interest. Like I said though, there is a final trailer out now, so let's see if it does anything to reverse my aforementioned apathy.




So they're going in the opposite direction of the BvS marketing and keeping the majority of this movie under wraps? I can dig it, I'll always take non-spoilers over spoilers! Best part about this trailer has to be that Jason Momoa and Ezra Miller still look so great in this, they just seem so charming and endearing. On the other hand, the glimpses we get of the fight scenes, most notably Cyborg saving Aquaman in the sky, look...stilted, I really hope the movements of these superheroes feel more organic in the final cut of the motion picture. At least this trailer does confirm that someone in post-production decided to color grade the pitch black battle scene backgrounds from the first trailer in red to make things more visually coherent, which is good since moments like Wonder Woman knocking off two Parademons from Batman's Bat-Mobile were practically impossible to make out in the teaser trailer released this past Spring. 

Let's see, what else, uh, I'm actually surprised Wonder Woman isn't a bigger part of the trailer and I wish she was since the Batman stuff, especially anytime he monologues about Superman, seem about as consistent with past movies as Wolverine's memories of his time with the X-Men in Logan. I'm also hoping Amy Adams (I keep forgetting one of the best actors of our time is in this franchise as a disposable love interest) has more to do in the movie then mourn over her "dead" boyfriend. Speaking of "dead" boyfriend, it looks like we're officially just gonna act like Superman's dead thing until he inevitably gets resurrected (likely in his 1990's black outfit) in the actual movie. That's not an inherently bad thing (like I said, I prefer my trailers spoiler-free) but it's still strikes me as a strange narrative move, though I'll reserve final judgment on how it plays out in Justice League until I see the final movie.


Overall, this really isn't a bad trailer (though the cover of David Bowie's Heroes is.....bleh) but I wish it got me hyped in any sense. I felt so...tepid to what I was watching by the end and I never thought I'd feel that way about the final trailer for the first live-action Justice League movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment